Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Advisor/Student

Today in Scientopia:

Perhaps the most common theme of questions/laments that I get from readers concerns advisor-student interactions: grad students send me (long) sad tales of dysfunctional working relationships with remote and neglectful advisors, and advisors send me tales of woe about students who are not working hard (if at all). If only the neglectful advisors could be paired with the students who don't work hard (if at all), and the caring, responsive advisors could have hard-working, productive students..

(continued over at Scientopia)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my department we have a progressive approach for non-performing students. We 'buy them out". Essentially, if a student is not performing to an advisers or universities specifications, we will give them 3 to 12 months salary and cut ties with the student. The amount of salary depends on the situation. This works because it gives the student some incentive to leave and not hang around fighting for a degree that will come with no positive recommendation letters (ie a trash degree).

Anonymous said...

Boycott American Women? Seriously FSP, I thought you filtered out spam like this.

Female Science Professor said...

I thought about deleting it, but posting it is consistent with my general philosophy of not filtering the sexist jerks. Also, I thought it was funny. A bit off-topic perhaps.., but funny (in a twisted way). But then, as an American woman, I am generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant, and self-centered, among other things.

Although I know it's unpleasant to read a 'comment' like this (assuming it is even serious), these "intelligent" men exist, and here's a nice example.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Did you check the site? My university here does not allow me to, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

Don't visit the boycott American women blog - it's ridiculous drivel and this guy shouldn't get any kind of increase in his hit counter from self-respecting, educated people who have a clue.

I just can't understand why a catch like this is still single, though!

Anonymous said...

It is so selfish that highly unchaste women don't want to have children.